Search My Site

Followers

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket
Since October 2007

Sep 12, 2007

In Loving Memory: Marie F. Hays (8-10-13 to 8-11-07)

It was 1985 the last time I visited my grandma. That was 22 years ago. I didn't know her very well and never spoke to her much. But, when I returned with my brother, Curtis, in April of this year, she either didn't realize it had been that long or simply did not care -- We were her grandchildren!

My Aunt Virginia walked us into her home where she sat in her living room. Everything was exactly as I remembered -- except Grandma. She was prettier and so very sweet. I walked up to her and she stood up quickly to greet me (hard to believe she was 93)! When I approached her, I looked down into her face (she was so tiny), and I smiled, told her how pretty she was and asked her if she remembered me. She had the biggest grin on her face! It was so endearing and then she nodded and said, "Yes. Rhonda!" (How she knew that is beyond me -- mostly because I'm a twin!..guess she could've remembered a previous conversation with her daughter, Virginia...?) I gave her a hug and was so happy to meet her again.

As a young child growing up, I focused on the fact she couldn't hear very well. It was difficult for me to hang around her too long, because I simply didn't know what to say. And when I did, she couldn't hear me. Addition to the fact we didn't go see her much because we visited my mother's side of the family more.

I realize hind sight is 20-20, but I just can't help but wish it could have been different. At least I did get to spend some time with her while she graced us with her presence. May she rest in peace.

I hope anybody who knew her will please share the memories they have quietly tucked away; click on "comments" below and tell us how special she was to you.

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

Posted by Picasa

0 peanuts say: